With spooky season upon us, television networks are unleashing an eerie lineup of shows and movies that are sure to send shivers down your spine.
While the beloved classics remain, this year’s offerings venture into edgier, more diverse territory, blending the nostalgic thrill with elements of comedy and fantasy.
So, wear your costumes, pop some popcorn, and dim the lights! It’s time to reveal the five must-watch spooky TV shows and movies premiering this Halloween season.
1. “Goosebumps” (Disney+ and Hulu)
In a nostalgic twist for fans of R.L. Stine’s iconic tales, “Goosebumps” makes a modern comeback on Disney+ this Halloween season.
What it’s about: The revamped series follows a group of high school students investigating the tragic death of teen Harold Biddle – while unearthing dark secrets from their parents’ past.
- Features a diverse and inclusive cast, showcasing a broader range of demographics and bringing depth and relatability to the narratives
- R.L. Stine gave his blessing and played a pivotal role in shaping this contemporary adaptation.
2. “Five Nights at Freddy’s” (Peacock)
Prepared to be both thrilled and terrified as the much-anticipated game-to-movie adaptation, “Five Nights at Freddy’s”, graces our screens.
What it’s about: The movie follows Mike Schmidt, a night security guard at Freddy Fazbear’s Pizzeria, as he discovers that the animatronic mascots come to life after hours with murderous intentions.
- Director Emma Tammi joined forces with Scott Cawthon, the mastermind behind the popular video game franchise, to weave subtle Easter eggs into the film.
- Jim Henson’s Creature Shop – yes, that Jim Henson – is the team that brings Freddy Fazbear and his mascot friends to life.
3. “Pet Sematary: Bloodlines” (Paramount+)
The chilling world of Stephen King’s Pet Sematary continues to evolve with the release of “Pet Sematary: Bloodlines.”
What’s it about: Set in 1969, the prequel unravels the story of young Jud Crandall, whose plans to leave town with his girlfriend are abruptly halted when she falls victim to a vicious dog attack. This harrowing event thrusts Jud into a nightmarish realm where malevolent secrets and dark forces come to life.
- Stephen King praised the film, describing it as the story that Jud Crandall tells Louis Creed to dissuade him from using the Pet Sematary.
4. “The Despaired” (BET+)
Delving into the realms of life, death, and the supernatural, “The Despaired” promises an intense and gripping experience.
What it’s about: The film follows a mourning mail carrier who discovers a cryptic letter that can resurrect her late husband. However, in a race against time, she must make three sacrifices to save him from eternal banishment.
- Transcending the typical supernatural thriller, the movie delves into the profound emotions associated with grief and loss.
5. “Monster High 2” (Nickelodeon and Paramount+)
For those seeking a more family-friendly Halloween experience, “Monster High 2” is a must-watch this spooky season.
What it’s about: In this movie musical sequel, Clawdeen Wolf, Draculaura, and Frankie Stein are now sophomores at Monster High, ushering in a whole host of brand-new relationships, powers, and enemies that are unlike anything they have experienced before.
- A live-action take on Mattel’s iconic Monster High franchise, where everyone is proud to be their authentic self, which is more relevant than ever
So, whether you’re a fan of eerie nostalgia, spine-tingling video game adaptations, supernatural thrills, or family-friendly monsters, this Halloween season’s lineup has something to send shivers down everyone’s spine.
To find more recommendations for hair-raising Halloween TV, click on our related article here.