As we step into 2024, it has become our tradition at Beyond to reflect on the significant achievements made last year in the world of broadband and television and anticipate what lies ahead.
Here’s a recap of notable milestones and a glimpse into the future.
Bridging the Digital Divide
- The White House made a BIG announcement – revealing the federal broadband funding each state will receive to expand high-speed internet access.
- With closing the digital divide now ultimately in the hands of each state, we launched #ConnectivityCounts, a campaign focused on ensuring that this historic broadband investment results in universal internet access.
- Over 20 million American households now benefit from free or discounted high-speed internet through the Affordable Connectivity Program in partnership with broadband providers. See if you qualify here!
Despite positive strides, challenges remain in narrowing the digital divide.
- The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) introduced a set of purported “net neutrality” rules that threaten progress. These new and arguably unnecessary regulations could hinder the very advancements they aim to protect.
- How you can help: Tell your Members of Congress that the FCC must not stand in the way of accomplishing Internet for All.
Click above for simple instructions to send your message – all you need to do is
fill in your information and press the “SEND EMAIL” button
Enhancing Diversity and Representation on TV
TV networks remained dedicated to promoting diversity and inclusion, both in front of and behind the camera. Check out some of the standout moments:
- Racial and gender diversity in front of the camera reached their highest points in a decade.
- Hollywood continues to make strides in expanding AAPI representation.
- Indigenous storytelling on TV enjoyed a boom, bringing more authentic Native American stories to our screens.
- The FCC released an updated version of its national broadband map, providing a clearer picture of where high-speed internet service is – and is not – available.
- The first deployment of 10G networks was announced, making significant progress since the initiative’s unveiling in 2019.
- We celebrated Warner Bros. Studio’s 100th anniversary, highlighting its profound impact on American culture.
What to Expect in 2024
The upcoming year will build upon the wave of changes and successes of 2023. At Beyond, we’ll be keeping our eye on the following:
- As federal broadband funds reach states, Beyond will continue to advocate for states to: prioritize connecting unserved communities, collaborate with experienced cable broadband providers, and implement safeguards against fraud, waste, and abuse.
- With the FCC set to publicly comment again on Net Neutrality on January 17, Beyond encourages the community to take action. Visit our Internet for All page to learn more about what’s at stake.
- Multi-gig internet speeds will continue rolling out, reaching more than 50 million homes and businesses by the end of 2025.
Going Beyond, Together
At Beyond, our dedication revolves around keeping our community informed about the latest in broadband and cable television. We value your input! Join us for updates, explore more stories, or participate in our initiatives. Wishing you a Happy New Year!